Thursday, May 27, 2010

my first curbside freebie!

Ok, so let me start by explaining that I am inexplicably attracted to impractical, antiquated storage items (library card catalogs, architecture flat files, etc.), but they are always so prohibitively expensive given how essentially useless they are, so I've never bitten the bullet and invested in one. But lo and behold, on my afternoon walk with Lulu today, I stepped out of my mom's building and there on the curb, literally two feet from the front door, was a giant, steel flat file, all sad and abandoned and practically begging for a home.




















So, it's about 3x4 feet, about a foot and a half high, and in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint. I was already imagining it as my coffee table, hiding away all of my artwork in its large flat drawers, until my dreams were almost crushed (literally) by the sheer weight of the thing - it must weigh a BILLION pounds!

I was trying to think of somewhere that I could rent or borrow a dolly to cart it down into the basement until I get keys to my new place, when all of the sudden some strapping young gentlemen came strolling by ... and I decided to play the damsel in distress card. Yep, it's true, the feminist gods may come strike me down, but I let some big, strong, good samaritans help me wrastle the thing down the stairs (they had brains, too - taking out the drawers made the job a thousand times easier. DUH!) They wouldn't even let me throw them any cash or buy them a slice of pizza. Ladies, don't believe what you hear - chivalry is not dead...

Now that I've got it in my possession, I'm thinking of putting it on casters to lighten it up a little and make it a little more mobile, but I'm still not sure what color to paint it! Glossy white? Metallic silver? Chalkboard paint?? I have no idea! Thoughts are very welcome. Here's a little inspiration:

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a great find! Really enjoyed reading about your new place and recent trip to Nola. I grew up there so its near to my heart. This is Hillary from Austin by the way!
    Can you get my email from yo momma so i can talk to you about transporting my package (large 15 yr old boy) later this month to camp? thanks!

    ReplyDelete